Dogs, cats, rabbits: why is chocolate dangerous for your pets?

On this Easter weekend, many French people will abuse chocolate. However, be careful not to let your pets take advantage of it.

Many people know not to give chocolate to your pet. But most don’t know why. “Chocolate is dangerous because it contains alkaloids which have negative cardiovascular and digestive properties which could endanger the survival of the animal”, tells Geo Dr Chevaillier, veterinarian at the Savigny-sur-Orge clinic.

The most harmful alkaloid is undoubtedly methylxanthine. This stuff is strongly present in cocoa. This is why filled chocolates, white or milk, with a lower cocoa content, are less dangerous for the dog.

From what quantity to worry?

According to Dr Chevaillier, “a intoxication is said to be marked when a 10 kg dog eats 50 g of 100% chocolate cocoa. We also see that the dose depends on the dog’s weight proportionally, for a 40 kg dog, he will need 200 g of dark chocolate”, develops the veterinarian for Geo.

What should I do if my dog ​​ate chocolate?

The first step to take is make the animal vomit as soon as possible. Ideally within 20 minutes of consumption. Calling veterinary emergencies is also a good reflex to adopt if your dog’s health deteriorates.

Depending on the dose ingested and the weight of the animal, chocolate consumption can also lead to health complications for your cat or rabbit.

Ten other foods not to feed your dog

In addition to chocolate, Royal Canin, specialist in dog nutrition, lists other foods not to give to your dog.

Professionals therefore recommend avoiding synthetic sweeteners, present in chewing gum or toothpaste.

Avocado, alcohol and caffeine are also very toxic. More generally, Royal Canin advises against garlic, onions, raisins – raisins or not – nuts, fatty and fried foods and dairy products, including cheese, for your dog.

Leave a Comment